Sex gear stolen for killer lover

By Viva Goldner, Court Reporter

October 16, 2006 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

A FEMALE probation officer – suspended without pay for having an affair with a convicted murderer – has admitted stealing kinky costumes while her paroled boyfriend distracted staff, a court has been told.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal for the first time the details of their illicit relationship that led mother-of-two Kerrie Anne Loughland, 32, to leave her family and move in with her criminal lover.

The unlikely affair is the latest debacle to rock the Parole Authority, after it waited almost two weeks to revoke child killer John Lewthwaite’s parole when he was arrested for obscene exposure.

In the latest scandal Loughland was suspended without pay while the Department of Corrective Services investigated her “alleged inappropriate relationship” with an inmate.

The Blaxland mother’s position as a probation and parole officer at Silverwater jail is now under review.

Documents tendered to court reveal Loughland was assigned to Sean McAuliffe’s case last February, four months before he was released from the Mid-North Coast Correctional Centre.

McAuliffe served 12 years jail after being found guilty of murder in 1992.

Police claim McAuliffe and Loughland were “good friends”.

On September 18, the pair went to Sydney’s Kins Cross and entered Risque Adult Shop on Darlinghurst Rd about 2pm.

Loughland grabbed a selection of novelty uniforms and latex costumes and headed to the changerooms, followed by her criminal beau.

He left the cubicle and continued to browse the store’s x-rated wares, Downing Centre Local Court was told.

Noticing some clothing had not been returned, shop assistant “Cecil” inspected McAuliffe’s bag and found one captain costume and one fireman costume, valued at $309.90 in total.

McAuliffe then fled, taking with him a “black dress and a devil’s costume” worth $199.90, the court heard.

Police arrived soon after and arrested Loughland, before later arresting McAuliffe. Both accused pleaded guilty to stealing the items and were each fined $600 at separate court hearings.